Friday, January 04, 2013

The Wide World of Bonnett's Books 2013

On a whim, I thought I'd try to chronicle the diversity of topics dealt with on a daily basis here in the shop. I hope to do this regularly throughout 2013. The name of our blog, "Penciled Margins" was inspired by the fact that almost every day here brings in new and interesting items, experiences, and information. That's the nature of this place. Old, new, classic, modern, off-the-wall, mainstream, and on and on...

The links below are not as simple as they appear. Don't ignore them. Some are basic links to Wikipedia info or official sites related to the linked item. Other links might be thought of as "bonus features" or "easter eggs" which will lead to news, videos, behind the scenes stuff and other amazing things. No "Rick Roll" links*, I promise, except maybe on April 1st.

Who knows, you may even want to save some the links and sites for the future!

So, let's get caught up...

1/1/13 - We were closed for New Years Day. No in-store discussions, searches, etc. My wife and I enjoyed a day at home together and watched Pulp Fiction. After she went to bed I watched Sin City. I'm not sure where the inspiration to watch either film was born, but they're both highly entertaining films and merit a repeat from time to time. Happy New Year!

1/2/13 - A customer request for comedies by Aeschylus led to an online search and the discovery that he's known more for his tragedies - learn something new every day. Then, while checking our shelves for works by Aeschylus (to find we're a bit low at the moment) discussion turned to Shakespeare, acting, film-making, and my glib suggestion that Quentin Tarantino's lengthy scenes of dialog might one day, far off, be studied by students of dramatic arts as Shakespeare's use of language is studied today. As you may have guessed, if you're paying attention, the comment was driven by my entertainment choices from 1/1/13. We finally wrapped up the discussion when we found something from Aristophenes, who, after all that, is a Greek comedic dramatist and happened to appeal to that particular customer.

1/3/13 - What a square date, daddy-o! Many things crossed our shared thoughtscape today, from the recent Bruce Wayne morph to super yachts and action films. Bruce Willis [I almost typed "Bruce Wayne" again], Joseph Gordon-Levitt, and Arnold Schwarzenegger figured prominently. Willis was in both my movie choices from the First of the year, but I was not the one to bring him to the conversation. However, I mentioned Gordon-Levitt and Ahnold due to our Batman related discussion. Schwarzenegger chat lingered as I searched for some online images by Annie Leibovitz, whose "Master Set" and "Pilgrimage" curations were recently on display with more of her work at the Wexner Center for the Arts in Columbus (Ohio), which my son and I had attended just days before.

So that gets us caught up on current ideas floating around the bookstore. What's next?

Concepts flow around here in the same way our books, comics, and movies do. There's really no way to know what will turn up, until it does. Please check back often - both in the shop and here at "Penciled Margins" - the official weblog of Bonnett's Books.

.
.
.

*after this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment